How to help your child
Please have a look through this section for resources that may support you to help your child with their learning at home. The pages here will also help you understand what it is that children should be able to do at their age and offer some advice in how you can help your child to reach those goals. Amongst other things, we include here:
- Letter formation sheet (which shows how we write in our 'pre-cursive' style)
- Videos to show how we say our phonics sounds
- Some maths songs to help learn our 2s, 5s and 10s.
Early Years Foundation Stage - Family Guide
Things your child can work on before starting school from Twinkl
Awesome 8 - end of year expectations for Nursery
Terrific 10 - end of year expectations for Reception
Early Years maths - expectations
What is phonics and what are the phases?
Order of the phonemes taught in Letters & Sounds
What is Tapestry and how to use it
How to form our pre-cursive letters (red dot to start)
Letter and number writing scripts
Rainbow readers - to help learn tricky words
Planet words - After Rainbow readers, Yr 1/2 common exception words
Reading questions - questions you could ask your child when reading, ideas from Twinkl
How to pronounce Phase 2 sounds and actions
How to pronounce Phase 3 digraphs and trigraphs, with Jolly Phonics actions.
Learning to write
Helping at home with Maths
Count in 2s song
Count in 5s song
Count in 10s song
Moving up a class - getting ready for Nursery, Reception or Year 1
- Oxford Owl. E-books are available here, some with some great comprehension quizzes. oxfordowl.co.uk
- Cbeebies bedtime stories: stories read by celebrities. BBC iPlayer, search ‘Bedtime stories.’
- ‘Teach your monster to read’ ap – a great, cheap ap to teach your child to use phonics in a fun way. Search in the ‘Ap’ store on your phone.
- Learn English Kids. Stories, songs and games that we use at school. learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/
- Alphablocks on Cbeebies.
- Jolly phonics songs and actions video
- phonicsplay.co.uk (lots in the free section)
- bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/grownups/help-your-child-with-maths and Numberblocks on Cbeebies
- Education City – use your Gunton log-in usernames and have a go at the many activities!
- National Oak Academy - learning across all age groups and subjects
- BBC supermovers – moving and learning, times tables, punctuation:
- Natural History Museum – a great virtual tour, amongst other interesting things
Song and dance
- Lots of fun songs and dances (e.g. ‘Milkshake song’) at ‘Go Noodle’ on YouTube.
"Thank you for providing such a great, and fun start to my daughter's education, providing great foundations for her future learning. Keep up the good work Early years team!"
- Reception parent